Sunday, March 17, 2013

The False Prince (Book One)

This is the book you have been waiting for. A book filled to the brim with adventure. A book with secret passageways and devious plots and the very best kind of thieves.

I liked this book the moment I read the first sentence. This book, I thought, has promise. 

But it has so much more than that! I don't even know where to begin. First and foremost, the characters are incredibly likable. Sage's situation may be dire, and perhaps his life is even at stake, but he's so darn likable. You find yourself laughing at his mistakes and his commentary in even the darkest of circumstances. He's clever, unbelievably kind, and daring. He's hungry all the time. He's a realistic boy, and yet he has qualities that make him a fantastic hero. How could you not like this kid? How could you not love him? 

This leads me to a point about the plot of this story. It seems to me like there are always stories about being a princess or becoming royalty, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love those stories. However, I've never seen a boy in this situation. Maybe authors and publishers think it's too "girly" of a circumstance to have a guy mixed up in the tangle of royalty. But this is one of the best aspects of the book - a twist I've definitely never seen before - and I loved every minute of it. 

The writing is easy to read, which could make it a great fit for middle grade readers. However, since there's a bit of violence in here, I'd place this as a Young Adult novel. You could also say that the plot is a bit predictable. There weren't, in my case, any jaw-drop surprises. That being said, I truly didn't care. I loved or hated each character (as appropriate) so much and the adventure was such an enjoyable ride from start to finish, I'd read it again in a heartbeat.

Appropriate for ages 14+

2 comments:

  1. I have this one checked out from the library....it's next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know what you think! I absolutely loved this book!

      Delete