Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dragon Slippers

Ah, Jessica Day George! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!

1) Dragon Slippers is a fantasy novel without having to read colossal blocks of text of descriptions. Instead, it is fast paced, but it doesn't feel as though there are any holes. This is like a breath of fresh air.

2) Let me just say there are always surprises. Dragons are not what you think they are, people! 

3) Creelisle is a vivacious, clever, humble, TALENTED, and most importantly, independent character. She does not simply wait around to be saved and look beautiful in the meantime.

4) The relationships in this novel are lifelike. As characters come to know one another, they experience a myriad of emotions - fear, trust, uncertainty, growth - that make you wish you were there with them so that you could be their friend, too.

5) There is no whining and moping around. These people move, act, think. There are secrets in this kingdom. There are small dogs. There are princes, raunchy princesses, dragons, and a whole lot of sewing. How can you possibly combine all of these aspects and make a fantastic book, with the only swear words being "Caxel's Bones?"

Only if you're Jessica Day George. I wish I was. You'll wish you were, too.

Appropriate for ages 12+ (though I think of this novel as being Young Adult)

1 comment:

  1. This whole series is so great. I'm so glad you introduced me to it! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete