Saturday, May 25, 2013

It's A Mall World After All

I knew I liked this book when three things happened:

1) Charlotte, a high school senior, is stuck with the lousy job of spraying perfume on unsuspecting customers as they enter the mall, and she's decided that one day she will earn a PhD and write a dissertation about it. That right there proves that Charlotte is not only smart, but also has a fantastic sense of humor.

2) Charlotte is five foot, nine inches (only a half inch shorter than me). While I know this isn't necessarily relevant to the plot of the story, I cheer for tall characters. They seem to be so few and far between in the literary world, that when you give me a tall character, I'm bound to like her. 

3) Charlotte has a chip on her shoulder - in the figurative sense of the phrase, of course - and rightfully so. Any group of kids that stoop so low as to not only call you a spider but then put live ones in your desk during middle school, you would be wary of. And when said group of kids (or rather one in particular) appears to be cheating on his girlfriend, who happens to be your best friend, there is really only one way to deal with the situation.

Bring him down.

This book is delightfully funny. I laughed multiple times, and Charlotte is witty, smart, and stops at nothing to get what she wants. And despite the fact that disaster seems to follow her, she takes it all in stride - whether or not that means she has to wear elf shoes while doing so every once in awhile.  

I'm telling you, this novel does not incessantly talk about shopping and cliche teenage characters who are incapable of interacting with the outside world. That couldn't be further from the truth. I absolutely loved this book, but be warned: once you start, all other obligations you need to fulfill might just go out the window.

Don't you love it when a book does that?

Appropriate for ages 15+

No comments:

Post a Comment