Monday, May 6, 2013

Aurelia

This novel is completely unconventional, and as such, it took me awhile to get into the swing of the writing. Aurelia is the headstrong Crown Princess of Tyralt, a girl with strength and vivacity and with absolutely no respect for the rules. Robert is a childhood friend come to visit Aurelia after an absence of four years. But Robert knows something that Aurelia does not.

Someone wants her dead, so he has turned into her spy.

The premise of this plot was completely intriguing to me. However, Aurelia lacks some standards you'll find in most novels. It seems like she never goes on a journey. Usually in young adult literature by about the second chapter, the main character knows what he/she wants and is off to pursue it. In this book, though, the focus is more about the investigation of who is trying to kill Aurelia, switching between the perspectives of the princess and Robert. This was both a blessing and a curse in the novel, since Aurelia seems to be the main character, but Robert often gets to be more in the thick of things.

There were also many times where I would have to reread sentences in order to understand their meaning - the use of similes in the novel were somewhat peculiar and didn't always make sense.

However, I still enjoyed Aurelia. I wanted to keep reading. I wanted to find out "who done it," so to speak, and I've even started the sequel, called Exile. And let me tell you, it's much more beautifully written than Aurelia. While the first novel is good, the sequel is even better, which is refreshing because it's usually the other way around. Think of the entire story of Aurelia as the beginning of a long journey and the start of some wonderful characters. With that perspective in mind, I think you'll love these two novels. You just have to be a little more patient.

*Edit: Having gotten further into Exile, I don't think I'll recommend it here. Although I thought it would be just as clean as Aurelia, I reached a place near the end where I felt uncomfortable, so be aware of that if you choose to read the sequel.

Appropriate for 15+ (and it's 100% clean!)

No comments:

Post a Comment