Friday, June 7, 2013

Fame, Glory, and Other Things on My To Do List

Apparently I am on a Janette Rallison craze. There is just something about being able to read a book in one sitting and laughing hysterically until three in the morning when everyone else is in bed.

One of the best characteristics about Rallison's books? The perspectives of her characters. Often, they're stereotypes that are made fun of, like teenagers who work at the mall, cheerleaders, or in this case drama queens... all people that many would mock or dismiss as being cliche. But Rallison presents you with these characters as well-rounded human beings, and I have to say I love that about her.

Jessica is an actress with big aspirations and a tendency to overlook the difference between bending the truth and playing the part of a character as though she were on stage. After all, she NEEDS (I cannot overemphasize this, here) to be Juliet in the upcoming play. Whatever it takes to make that happen is not unreachable, especially when a famous actor's son moves into Three Forks, New Mexico. 

What could go wrong, right? A little scheming and planning, and voila! She's on her way to fame and stardom.

The more this novel progressed, the more comedic it became. It's not my favorite of Rallison's books, but then again, I repeat that by the end of it I was literally laughing just about every other paragraph. Why, you ask me? You'll have to see for yourself.

Appropriate for ages 15+
 

No comments:

Post a Comment