Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Goose Girl

So, I couldn't help myself. The original artwork for the cover of The Goose Girl is just so gorgeous, that even though in most bookstores you'll see the newest version, I had to put this one here.

The Goose Girl is the story of Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, the Crown Princess of Kildenree, and what happens when she finds out that the life she has lived is a lie. Raised since she was born to rule her people, suddenly Ani finds herself on a road traveling far away from her home to marry a prince she has never met, a mere bargaining chip to aid two countries' relationships that are tenuous at best.

But Ani has a gift - she can speak to animals and sometimes can even hear their thoughts. For a princess who does what she's told and feels uncomfortable in her own skin, this helps her survive, especially when she fears for her own life.

This novel unfolds so beautifully, digging into the characters and plot without you even realizing it. It's as though someone is right next to you, speaking the words, the tones and inflections slipping into your head that you can't even remember there being anything in the world except for this story, and you don't want to. This kind of narration works perfectly for our main character, a girl who on the outside may seem shy, but who on the inside has so much to think and say that as a reader, you know better. You know who Ani is, and as she grows to become more than she could have ever imagined, it's no surprise, because you recognized her potential from the beginning.

Based off of the Grimm fairy tale, The Goose Girl has so much life and personality that you'll want to read it again and again. I could go on about it for ages, talking about the characters, betrayals, loyalty, and love threaded throughout its pages. But why not see for yourself?

Appropriate for ages 13+ 

3 comments:

  1. I just read this, thanks to you, and I LOVED it. Then I read The Princess Academy with the girls. We all LOVED it. What a beautiful review this is! I want to read this one with them as well....like you said, "you'll want to read it again and again". Beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm so excited that you're "LOVING" Shannon Hale's books! Obviously, I think she's amazing and it's always exciting to me when someone else appreciates her work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is SUCH a classic. I am SO glad you introduced it to me.

    ReplyDelete